– Please tell us what you thought when you first read Schwarzesmarken.
My first impression was that it was a very serious story. At the same time, I was of the generation that saw the reunification of the real-life West and East Germany in real-time, so I wondered if it was really OK to tell this kind of story in an anime.
– Please tell us what you were eager to accomplish as the director of Schwarzesmarken.
I was thinking to move the project in the direction of a war story. I was worried about how far we would be able to take it in an anime production, though.
– Please tell us what aspects of characters like Theodor and Irisdina you paid attention to in portraying them.
For Theodor, I wondered if it was possible to portray him as a protagonist-like protagonist. It’s a standard story for a protagonist to revive after suffering setbacks, but lately it’s uncommon to see a character like Theodor have his setbacks portrayed this way. As for Irisdina, I wanted her to be like Maetel from Galaxy Express 999, somebody that Theodor and Katia could look up to.
– Please tell us a scene from the original work that resonated with you. Also, tell us how you portrayed this scene in the anime.
When I started working on Schwarzesmarken, I felt once again that things like haze and smoke are key ingredients to a war story. As winter grew closer, I became keenly aware that we wouldn’t be able to film the battle scenes in such a snowstorm in live-action, so I was glad that we were working in animation.
– Please tell us what you paid attention to for the TSF movements and battles.
The story basically involves a bunch of mass-produced units, so it was very difficult to portray who was riding in which machine. It’s easy to spot Annet since she has her sword, though. We developed snow as a key part of the visuals, but I was worried if it came out well or not.
– Finally, please give the fans who are waiting for this anime a message.
Schwarzesmarken was originally a novel series, so I consider it my challenge to see how much of it we can turn into a TV series. Everyone, please give us your support.